Desiring God is one of the most expansive ministry websites that I've ever encountered. It would take months to uncover all of its richness, however, I hope to highlight some of its goodies to encourage you to go hunting for treasures of your own.
Yesterday, I gave a little background on John Piper, listed his bibliography of books he's authored, and shared the wonderful news that 18 of his books are available to download in pdf format free of charge.
Today I will be sharing a unique portion of his website, a section devoted to providing people with biographical sketches of past theologians. Starting in 1988, Piper has regularly preached sermons and written articles on many great theologians of centuries past ranging from Jonathan Edwards (1988) to William Tyndale (2006). A full list includes: Jonathan Edwards, Charles Simeon, David Brainerd, Martyn Lloyd Jones, William Cowper, J. Gresham Machen, John Owen, Charles Spurgeon, Martin Luther, John Calvin, St. Augustine, John Bunyan, John G. Paton, John Newton, William Wilberforce, Adoniram Judson, George Mueller, Athanasius, and William Tyndale.
While these biographical articles have been available to READ, it is only recently that the website has added audio messages (mp3 format) accompanying the articles.
Another major section of the website is his Articles which can be sorted by topic, date, or title. Article categories include theology, worldview and culture, history and biography, the Christian life, family, and church and ministry.
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
Desiring God is the ministry of John Piper. His website goes above and beyond all expectations of what listeners and readers could ever hope to find on the web from a well-respected author and pastor.
John Piper is the Pastor for Preaching at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, where he first sensed God's call to enter the ministry. He went on to earn degrees from Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.) and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years he taught Biblical Studies at Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota, and in 1980 accepted the call to serve as pastor at Bethlehem. John is the author of more than 20 books and his preaching and teaching is featured on the daily radio program Desiring God. He and wife Noel have four sons, one daughter, and an increasing number of grandchildren.
John Piper is the author of the following books:
- Love Your Enemies: Jesus' Love Command in the Synoptic Gospels and the Early Christian Paraenesis (Cambridge University Press, 1980; Baker, 1991).
- The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23 (Baker, 1983; 2nd edition 1993).
- Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (Multnomah, 1986; 2nd edition, 1996, 3rd edition, 2003).
- The Supremacy of God in Preaching (Baker, 1990, 2nd edition, 2003).
- The Pleasures of God (Multnomah, 1991; Expanded edition, 2000).
- Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (Co-editor) (Crossway, 1991).
- Let the Nations Be Glad! The Supremacy of God in Missions (Baker, 1993, 2nd Edition 2003).
- The Purifying Power of Living By Faith In Future Grace (Multnomah, 1995).
- A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer (Crossway, 1997).
- A Godward Life: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life (Multnomah, 1997).
- God’s Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (Crossway, 1998).
- The Innkeeper (Crossway, 1998).
- A Godward Life, Book Two: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life (Multnomah, 1999).
- The Legacy of Sovereign Joy (Crossway, 2000).
- The Hidden Smile of God (Crossway, 2001).
- Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ (Crossway, 2001, 2nd edition, 2004).
- The Dangerous Duty of Delight (Multnomah, 2001).
- The Misery of Job and the Mercy of God (Crossway, 2002).
- Brothers, We Are not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry (Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2002).
- The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Crossway, 2002).
- Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness? (Crossway, 2002).
- Beyond the Bounds (Co-editor) (Crossway, 2003).
- Don’t Waste Your Life (Crossway, 2003).
- Pierced By the Word (Multnomah, 2003).
- The Prodigal’s Sister (Crossway, 2003).
- The Passion of Jesus Christ (Crossway, 2004).
- When I Don’t Desire God: How to Fight for Joy (Crossway, 2004).
- Life As a Vapor (Multnomah, 2004).
- A God Entranced Vision of All Things (Crossway, 2004).
- Sex and the Supremacy of Christ (Crossway, 2005).
- Taste and See (Multinomah, 2005).
- God is the Gospel (Crossway, 2005).
- Contending for Our All (Crossway, 2006).
One of the amazing things about Piper's website is that 18 of his books are online and downloadable in pdf format! I know of no other author who makes his copyrighted material so accessible to the public.
Online Books by John Piper
Sunday, October 15, 2006
This blog will primarily be for reviewing all things Christian--recommending particular sermons, podcasts, websites, books, Bibles, songs, music artists, cds, dvds etc.
My first review will be of Bethlehem Bible Church. Although separated by many states, their user-friendly website and podcasts have made a major impact on my weekly life. I enjoy listening to their sermons (anywhere from 1-3 a week) and appreciate the convenience and flexibility of their formatting. You can listen online, download mp3s, or sign up for their podcasts and have their messages downloaded to your computer automatically. Another plus, their archives go back several years and include such notable speakers as John MacArthur and James White. They are an excellent example of expository preaching at its best. Messages typically run 40 minutes to an hour in length.
Bethlehem Bible Church's Statement of Faith
Bethlehem Bible Church's Audio Archives