Saturday, March 24, 2007

Audio Adrenaline Adios

Audio Adrenaline: Adios: The Greatest Hits (2006)

This special edition cd/dvd was released some time in 2006--I can't quite remember when. I didn't purchase it until this past weekend. Why? I own EVERY Audio A cd there is--except for Hit Parade. And spending money for songs that you already own didn't sound very wise. But when I saw it at my local Lifeway store at 50% off...I didn't want to pass it up. I was excited to finally get the three songs I was missing ("Goodbye," "Blaze of Glory," and "Down in the Lowlands"), but I was most excited to see what goodies the DVD had to offer. "The Story of Audio Adrenaline" was about forty-five minutes in length. There were also eight music videos on the DVD. Plus a "Photo Gallery" that I'll doubt I'll ever get around to viewing.

    The Songs on the CD (1:09:11 total; 10:59 of new material)
  • Big House
  • We're A Band
  • Never Gonna Be As Big As Jesus
  • Goodbye
  • Chevette
  • Some Kind of Zombie
  • Get Down
  • Hands and Feet
  • Mighty Good Leader
  • Ocean Floor
  • Beautiful
  • Blaze of Glory
  • Leaving 99
  • Pierced
  • Miracle
  • King
  • Starting Over
  • Down in the Lowlands


It takes time for songs to grow on you. You can listen to them once or even twice...but you don't know how you're going to feel about the song a week from now or a month from now. Some songs go in and out pretty quickly. Only the best of the best become part of you and define you. So I'll refrain from commenting on these three new songs. They seem nice enough and catchy enough upon first listen. Time will tell though.



"The Story of Audio Adrenaline"

This interview/clip portion of the DVD is good. The more you love Audio A, the more it will mean to you. For example, it starts with the two founding members of Audio Adrenaline, Mark Stuart and Will McGinnis, and as their story unfolds the other band members come into the interview. I loved the first part of the interview when they're talking about starting the band, getting a record deal, their first few albums, their first few concert tours, etc. I just loved it. Let's just say it took me back to a very happy time and place. Although DON'T CENSOR ME was not their first album, it was their first album with a big hit. That big hit??? Big House!!! It was also the first Audio A album I owned. I "discovered" them sometime in 1994 I believe. I know that the songs on DON'T CENSOR ME will always bring back memories for me--not particularly of being in high school...but of being that age. It was the beginning of my concert-going days. I saw Audio Adrenaline I don't know how many times...but at least three times...if not four. I hear the songs on the albums and I not only have memories of playing those CDs countless times...I have memories of hearing it live...of experiencing it all. There's nothing like being in a very large crowd, jumping, shouting, screaming, just being part of something bigger than yourself. So the time spent focused on DON'T CENSOR ME, BLOOM, SOME KIND OF ZOMBIE...made me very happy. I felt like I was a part of it. UNDERDOG is my favorite album, but by that time I wasn't into the concert scene so much. I was working. I was in graduate school. I didn't feel I had the time and energy (and money) to go see every concert that I would have wanted. I honestly can't remember if I saw Audio Adrenaline during their Underdog tour. It came out in 1999 and I know my last concert was in the summer of 2000. But I know that LIFT, WORLDWIDE, and UNTIL MY HEART CAVES IN got less play from me than the albums that came before. It had nothing to do with content, and everything to do with time. So when the interview drifted to covering these last three albums, I wasn't quite as into it. (There's also a little too much description going on of dead squirrels in a trash bag). But towards the very end there are MANY, MANY, MANY clips of other bands/artists paying tribute. But probably the highlight of the interview for me (besides the beginning) is when MercyMe pays tribute by singing Jesus & The California Kid. What a moment!!!!

    The Videos
  • AKA Public School
  • We're A Band
  • Big House
  • Some Kind of Zombie
  • Hands and Feet
  • Get Down
  • Ocean Floor
  • Leaving 99 (live)