Friday, May 18, 2007

The Effectual Call or the Altar Call

In one of my very first posts, I mentioned that Bethlehem Bible Church was one of my all-time favorite sources for GREAT sermon podcasts. I have all of their available sermons downloaded beginning with "Upholding the Gospel in a Doubting Age" by John MacArthur (a visiting speaker), a message dating back to 1999, to the present day. Their latest sermon, by the way, from May 13th is "Jesus the King" by Mike Abendroth. While I cannot claim to have listened to all of their sermons--although one day I hope I can say just that--I can say that listening to their messages each week is something I look forward to. It's never a chore, always a pleasure.
I love a good sermon. Not a weak story-based, wishy-washy sermon, but a good expository Bible-thumping message.

One of my favorite messages is entitled "The Effectual Call or the Altar Call." The pastor is Mike Abendroth. The date, June 4th 2006. I listened to this sermon first last summer. It was one that really struck me. I listened to it twice. I burned a copy for my sister and brother-in-law to listen to as well. I *made* them listen to it as well. While I can't attest to if my brother-in-law listened to it, I know that my sister did. We talked about it. We listened to part of it together. What can I say about it? It's incredible. It's one that you could listen to over and over again and still be getting new nuggets of wisdom. It's too rich, too deep to just listen to once. If there was such a thing as required listening--I would make EVERYONE listen to this one. Unfortunately, not everyone loves a good sermon.