Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sons of Encouragement Series

A few days ago I posted a review of THE PRINCE by Francine Rivers. I was a little hard on the novel. I was picking on it for having long chapters. I just wanted to clarify that while I was initially annoyed that the chapters were not a more manageable size, I fell so in love with the writing that in the end it just didn't matter to me. What did I love about it? Francine Rivers seems to have an almost magical style where she makes the bible texts come alive. Now I know the Bible is the living word of God. So when I say she makes them come alive, I'm not saying that the original was boring. Far from it. I love the Bible. I love the history books of the Old Testament. From third grade on, I devoured the history books. 1 Samuel. 2 Samuel. 1 Kings. 2 Kings. These were the books I loved. The stories of God in action. The kings. The prophets. The battles. The struggles. The story of David and Jonathan were among my favorites. (Elijah is also a BIG favorite of mine.) So I loved THE PRINCE for the most part. Because I loved the original so much. Because I knew it backwards and forwards, I really appreciated the newness of Rivers' telling. I loved how she fleshed out the friendship between Jonathan and David. I loved how she showed that Jonathan was a godly man who had a heart after God as well.

Other books in this series include The Priest, The Warrior, The Prophet, and The Scribe. (The Scribe comes out this summer.) I will be reviewing them for this site as I track them down. I have finished The Warrior. My review will probably be posted on Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait to read the rest of this series.