Thursday, July 26, 2007

Whence Came A Prince


Whence Came A Prince by Liz Curtis Higgs, 2005.

Whence Came A Prince is the third book in the series recapturing the story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah and placing it within a whole new context: Scotland in the late eighteenth century.

At the close of Fair Is The Rose, the reader leaves Jamie falling in love with Rose and letting go of his first wife, Leana. Rose has just found out she is going to have a baby, and she is overjoyed. And the two seem to be heading towards a happily ever after ending. But anyone familiar with the biblical account, knows that much more is in store for this triangle.

In Tuesday's review, I mentioned that I spent most of the book angry at Rose. I blamed her selfishness for the majority of the problems our three narrators were having. But that wasn't necessarily fair of me, I didn't give credit where credit was due. In the last few chapters of the book, Fair is the Rose, Rose repented and had a change of heart. I wouldn't say she reformed completely, but I think her vows to treat her husband and step-child right...was the first step towards a new Rose.

My anger hasn't gone away. It's just changed focus. Lachlan, playing the Laban role, is one of the most despicable characters I've ever seen. He is a true villain in this book. I felt like booing and hissing whenever he entered the room. So Rose is forgiven, and Lachlan takes the blame.

In Whence Came A Prince, Leana returns home from her visit with her Aunt Meg. She thinks she's returning to a house free of the McBrides. Jamie said he was planning on going home in May. Yet here it is June, and the family remains. So Leana is more than a little surprised to discover her sister is in the "family way" especially in light of her own secret discovery in recent weeks.

Can these three ever be happy? Will they ever escape from Uncle Lachlan's cruel and greedy control? Will any of them find the love, forgiveness, and grace they all so eagerly want?

I really really loved Whence Came A Prince. So much so that I read it all in one sitting. Quite a feat if you've seen how thick it is--537 pages.