Monday, December 31, 2007

Guest Reviewer...Intro and First Review

2007 was a great year for me, as I became reacquainted with the genre of Christian Fiction. I've always been an avid reader beginning with Grace Livingston Hill. Then in the 80s and 90s, I grew to love the work of Janette Oke. This year I've broadened my reading and found many new friends. So many thanks to all of you--Beverly Lewis, Tracie Peterson, Stephanie Grace Whitson, Lauraine Snelling, Lori Wick, and others too numerous to name--for many fascinating hours.

I was delighted to find several books under the Christmas tree. My first selections to read included Bygones and Beginnings by Kim Vogel Sawyer. I had discovered this author last summer, so I knew I was in for a special treat. I would describe Kim Vogel Sawyer's writing style as a combination of Janette Oke and Beverly Lewis. The characterization is well rounded and thought out. She does an excellent job of making the main characters realistic through a balance of dialogue, action, and internal dialogue.

Beth and her mother, Marie, struggle with the common issues of reconciliation, relationships, and the need to fit into community. Beth struggles with finding her purpose in life and finding the right priorities. I really enjoyed these books and I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this Sommerfield Trilogy--Blessings.

by Callie Laney (my wonderful, wonderful mother)

About Bygones:

Widower Marie Koeppler and her grown daughter Beth reluctantly return to the Mennonite community Marie abandoned twenty-three years ago. Soon after their arrival in Sommerfeld, a series of mysterious thefts raises the community's suspicions against the ""outsiders."" Can Marie prove their innocence, or will she be forced to flee once more? Henry Braun thought he'd gotten his love for Marie out of his system, but soon begins to wonder if she's stolen more than his heart. When it's all said and done, can Henry and Marie let bygones be bygones, or has their love been doomed from the start?

About Beginnings:

Beth Quinn is struggling to find a place to belong in the Old Order Mennonite Community of Sommerfeld, Kansas. When she starts a business designing stained glass windows, two men-one a Mennonite, the other not-begin to vie for her attention. Andrew Braun, a member of the Sommerfeld fellowship, is dedicated to family and faith. Sean McCauley, the son of a successful businessman, may only be interested in Beth's talents. Will Beth look to her heavenly Father to fill the emptiness within, or will her desperate quest for love shatter more than one heart?