Friday, February 15, 2008

A brief note...about Russell Fink

This week's CFBA book is My Name is Russell Fink by Michael Snyder.

And don't die of surprise, but I actually read it. Yes. I know. I read a book on time for once. Shocking.

But the description that was posted yesterday really says it all.

It is funny most of the time. It is over the top all of the time. It is so ridiculously over-the-top though that it works. If that makes sense. I mean everything that could happen does happen. There are so many un-unique plot and character devices used that it becomes unique. Like two wrongs making everything right for a change.

For example? Boy in love with best friend? Check. Dead dog? Check. Dead grandpa? Check. Alcoholic mother? Check. Mean boss? Check. Crazy Roommate? Check. Anyway, you get the idea. This book is a blues song waiting to happen.

Russell Fink comes from the most dysfunctional family on the planet. It's hard to even keep track of it all, it's so insane.

So expect craziness squared.

But here's the thing. Even though most of what happens goes against my typical likes, I couldn't help enjoying myself while reading it. I think if it had been serious instead of an over-the-top comedy, then it wouldn't have worked. I don't know that this book will work for everyone. But it will work for some. Don't get me wrong, I didn't love, love, love it. It's not my new #1 favorite book. But I liked it. It was enjoyable. It was a good way to spend the afternoon.